Saturday 29 March 2014

Weekly Report and Reflection Blog Post #10

Copyright_crystal_blue
Retrieved from: University of Fraser
 (http://blogs.ufv.ca/cmns)
          This week I had the opportunity to learn about copyright and creative commons. Copyright is a set of laws put together to protect creators of text, videos, images and artistic work from being copied and/or reproduced without the creator's permission. With the increase in technology, it is becoming even more difficult to manage illegal use of material by the general public. It can be so easy to copy and paste information without seeking permission.           
          Creative Commons seeks to do just the opposite of Copyright. It is a set of legal documents drawn up for people who would like to share their work. It is free and users of creative commons can state whether they would like their work to be shared or not and whether it can be altered in any way or not. In their website, Creative Commons states that they "help you share your knowledge and creativity with the world" they develop and support "... legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing and innovation."
File:LuMaxArt Gold Guys With Creative Commons Symbol02.jpg
Retrieved from:theoldguys.blogspot.com
          It's based that no work is new work and from the very beginning, people use other peoples work to build upon and improve to be enjoyed by future generations. An example of how it works is Flickr where work of people are available to be shared. I believe that this is a fabulous idea in that digital citizens can create work based on other work while at the same time be responsible and not run the risk of using work illegally.
          In my evolution as digital immigrant I am happy to be exposed to all these digital tools that are available out there. This week for example, I explored and was somewhat fascinated with Animoto which is a very fun simple way of creating slideshows that can be used in a number of settings. In this case I attempted to use the free version to create a short presentation on Copyright.
I must say that I intend to explore further uses for this within my PLE. I hope to engage my audience which ranges from my children to classmates to my work peers. I believe that it's a fun way to capture their attention.
          Animoto and Flickr will be great tools in my PLE as I can use them to gather and share information both on a social and an educational level. I have learned to pay attention to properly citing work of others and that there are other ways of obtaining material that is free and available for use without legal implications. In my journey thus far I have gained knowledge that will allow me to be more resourceful, collaborative, digitally responsible, digitally secure and aware of what is required to successfully participate in an ever increasing digital world!

            Below is embedded my first attempt at a video presentation that I created using Animoto. Check it out and feel free to comment on what you think. I hope that you have as much fun viewing it as I had putting it together.


Copyright. Badal,E. (cc)2014.


Image 1, retrieved from:
http://www.wikispaces.psu.edu (Copyright in Cyberspace).

Image 2, retrieved from:
http://www.myfreestreaming (movies.com)

Image 3, retrieved from:
http://www.lumaxart.com

Image 4, retrieved from:
http://www.jenniferdeshler.com (sharing our stories)

Image 5, retrieved from:
http://www.njea.org (Digital Citizenship: responsible technology use in the classroom)


Additional reading from Feedly: 


Genie.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment