Sunday 2 March 2014

Weekly Report & Reflection blog post #6

The power to remember everything? ... It must be divine!

When it comes to smarts, elephants are right up there with dolphins, apes and humans, says WCS cognitive scientist Diana Reiss and colleagues at Emory University in Atlanta. They reported in 2006 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA that elephants, like the other mammals in that exclusive circle, are the only animals known to recognize their reflections in a mirrorIn Hinduism, Lord Ganesha represents the power of the Supreme Beign that takes away obstacles and and gurantees victory in himan accomplishments.

Ever since I was a child, I heard the saying that "an elephant never forgets". It would seem only logical then that I chose the app that used an elephant in its branding to assist me in remembering and keeping track of everything that I had to do!

My first note was a record of my reflection while watching my son at his Tae Kwon Do classes. I did so on my phone recalling when he was younger and the dreams I had for him and how far we had come as parents. This simple recorded document turned out to be my first personal reflection journal for non-educational purposes. I now continue to record my feelings and thoughts several times a week on evernote often staring them on one device and finishing them on another. Its mobility suites my busy lifestyle!
As a tool to enhance my personal learning, evernote has already proven to be invaluable. I have recorded my thoughts on research topics, bookmarked some articles and pasted some relevant texts to my notes on my project. In class, I now have a few text books, my cellphone and my laptop. Evernote made it possible to store all my notes, pdf's, voice notes, pictures and everything related to my course work. There was some responsibility too (as being a new digital citizen) on my behalf, so I made it a point to inform my professor about evernote and the fact that I may now take notes on my cellphone too! She understood, as prior to now I never used my phone during classtime.
Evernote has quickly become my very own cloud-based database. I use it together with my feedly and google alerts to store relevant content for personal and educational purposes. I definitely would recommend evernote to my peers at work and at school as its usefulness is almost limitless and it is so simple to use.

Genie.

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Image retrieved from: http://wallpaperswide9.blogspot.ca/2012/12/lord-ganesh.html

No comments:

Post a Comment